Supervisor: Executive Director of Department Director
Status: Non-Exempt - Hourly
Salary Range: $12.00 per hour
Major Function Performs telephone and in-person reception work receiving callers or visitors to the Tallahassee Housing Authority. The employee will receive and route visitors, clients, vendors, mail items, and deliveries as required. Will answer, place, and direct telephone calls, and perform related clerical duties such as typing and filing.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise balance the workload.
- Receives and appropriately directs incoming telephone calls; places key outgoing calls as needed; forwards detailed information to the appropriate staff member. Transfers callers to staff members' voice mailboxes when the staff members are unavailable;
- Greets and directs visitors to the Tallahassee Housing Authority;
- Takes and retrieves messages for various personnel;
- Provides callers with information such as THA address, directions to THA locations, THA fax numbers, THA website, and other related information;
- Performs clerical duties such as filing, typing correspondence, preparing mailings, etc.;
- Assist division staff in assembling, distributing, and editing reports and informational materials;
- Directs visitors to sign-in sheet; maintains sign-in logs;
- Communicates in a professional and pleasant manner at all times;
- Communicates effectively, both verbally and in writing in English;
- Maintains order in the reception area, makes certain that information brochures and other reading materials are readily available;
- Types various labels, forms, and other documents as needed; maintains files appropriately;
- Performs other clerical and administrative duties as assigned by supervisor.
Required Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
- Knowledge of telephone operations
- Ability to speak clearly and distinctly in a well-modulated and pleasant voice
- Ability to remember accurately, within a reasonable training period, the names and locations of THA personnel and to understand essential department operations and THA programs
- Skill in utilizing standard office equipment including computers, copiers, scanners, fax, calculators, etc. necessary for successful job performance
- Skill in operating a telephone calmly and efficiently under heavy workload
- Ability to keep simple records accurately
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to prepare and present ideas in a clear and concise manner in English, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, consultants, contractors, residents, HUD, the general public, and local, state, and federal officials
- Level of manual dexterity sufficient to allow for operation of terminal keyboard, telephone, copier/fax, scanner, calculator, etc.
- Ability to move, handle or lift small objects around desk area such as files, computer printouts, reports, calculator, small boxes of suppliers, etc.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience
- Graduation from a standard high school or possession of a GED or equivalent; and, at least one year of experience that includes receptionist, sales, service industry, or clerical work involving heavy public contact.
- Must possess a valid Florida Drivers license and pass a driver's license check
- Ability to pass criminal background checks, reference checks, and drug screen